POSTED January 20, 2015 – Charlotte, NC – The Fritz & Lavinia Jensen Foundation is now accepting online applications for the 2015 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition to be held May 18-23, 2015 at the Baruch Performing Arts Center in New York City. Opera professionals who are 25-35 years of age can compete for their share of more than $36,000 in prize money.
“We’ve added an exciting new component to the first prize award this year,” explains Jane Pardue, Jensen Foundation President. “In addition to receiving the significant cash prize of $15,000, our First Prize winner will perform in OPERA America’s 2016 Emerging Artist Recital Series at The National Opera Center in New York. This live-streamed and recorded event is the perfect showcase for a promising young singer who deserves to be better known throughout the broad opera community.”
The Foundation expects 125 singers to audition for the chance to sing in the final competition on Saturday, May 23, 2015 and compete for these awards:
- First place - $15,000 + participation in OPERA America's Emerging Artist Recital Series in NYC
- Second place - $10,000
- Third place - $7,500
- Munday Encouragement Award - $3,000 and automatic entry into the 2016 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition
- All remaining finalists will receive $750.
The Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition is open to opera singers who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Will be 25-35 years of age on the first day of the 2015 competition, May 18;
- Will have been a permanent legal resident of the United States for at least one year prior to May 18, 2015;
- Can demonstrate the active pursuit of a career in opera;
- Will not be a past or current recipient of a contract with an OPERA American Budget Level I company or its international equivalent.
Singers can learn more about the competition at the Jensen Foundation website and complete an online application at Yaptracker.com. The deadline for entry is Sunday, March 15, 2015.