The Fritz & Lavinia Jensen Foundation is now accepting online applications from opera professionals 25-35 years of age for the 2018 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition. Singers can apply at Yaptracker.com to compete for their share of more than $40,000 in prize money. The annual competition takes place May 21-26, 2018 at the Baruch Performing Arts Center in New York City.
The Foundation expects 100 singers to audition for the chance to sing in the final competition on Saturday, May 26, 2018 and compete for these awards:
- First place - $15,000
- Second place - $10,000
- Third place - $7,500
- Munday Encouragement Award - $3,000 and automatic entry in the 2019 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition
- All remaining finalists will receive $750.
The Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition is open to opera singers who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- must NOT be a previous first-, second-, or third-place award winner of the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition;
- must be a permanent legal resident of the United States for at least one year prior to May 21, 2018;
- must be between the ages of 25 and 35 as of May 21, 2018;
- must not be a past or current recipient of a contract for a principal role with an OPERA America Budget Level I company or its international equivalent. Cover, chorus, and comprimario roles with Level 1 companies are acceptable.
Singers can complete an online application at Yaptracker.com. The deadline for entry is Sunday, March 18, 2018.
About the Fritz & Lavinia Jensen Foundation
Fritz and Lavinia Jensen were lifelong supporters of the arts who benefited many musicians and musical organizations during their lives. The Jensen Foundation is dedicated to continuing their philanthropic vision of support for the musical arts. The centerpiece of the Foundation’s efforts, the annual Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition, supports young artists pursuing a career in opera. Since the Competition’s inception in 2000, 126 young singers have received more than a $580,000 in support.