Details of the 2018 Competition
Below are all the details about the 2018 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition. The 2018 application period ended March 18, and the review of applications is now underway. Singers who are invited to audition will be notified by email. To receive updates about the 2018 Competition, please sign-up for the Jensen Foundation newsletter.
2018 DATES Preliminary Rounds, May 21-24, 2018. The Final Competition will be held on Saturday, May 26, 2018.
2018 LOCATION Baruch Performing Arts Center (BPAC), 55 Lexington at 25th Street (between Lexington and 3rd), New York, New York.
2018 AWARDS Awards for the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition are:
- First place - $15,000
- Second place - $10,000
- Third place - $7,500
- Munday Encouragement Award - $3,000 and automatic entry into the 2019 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition
- Remaining finalists - $750
2018 ELIGIBILITY To be eligible to compete, you:
- must NOT be a previous first-, second-, or third-place award winner of the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition;
- must be a permanent legal resident of the United States for at least one year prior to May 21, 2018. You must submit proof of residency in the form of a copy of a valid U.S. passport, a valid permanent resident (green) card, or a U.S. birth certificate. Drivers license and work permit are not acceptable proofs of residency;
- must be between the ages of 25 and 35 as of May 21, 2018;
- must submit a resume that demonstrates your active pursuit of a career in opera;
- must not be a past or current recipient of a contract for a principal role with an OPERA America Budget Level I company or its international equivalent. Cover, chorus, and comprimario roles with Level 1 companies are acceptable;
- must submit a completed application online by the deadline of Sunday, March 18, 2018.
2018 APPLICATION FEE $25, non-refundable.
2018 APPLICATION PROCESSING closed on Sunday, March 18, 2018.
- Applications are accepted only online via Yaptracker.com.
- Applicants are asked to prepare five operatic arias: one in Italian, one in French, one in German, one in English, and a fifth in the language of the applicant’s choice. A professional accompanist will be provided free-of-charge, or you may provide your own accompanist.
- If you are chosen as a finalist, you must be available from noon to 6 PM on the day of the Final Competition, Saturday, May 26, 2018.
COMMUNICATION E-mail is the primary form of communication; therefore it is imperative you provide a valid address with your application. The Foundation does not take responsibility for blocked or undeliverable e-mail. Additionally, it is your responsibility to follow up with the competition director if, at any time, you have questions or concerns regarding your application status, aria list, or audition time.
2018 IMPORTANT DATES
Sunday, March 18, 2018 Application Deadline
Friday, April 13, 2018 Acceptance & Schedule Confirmed; Waitlist Announced
Sunday, May 6, 2018 Aria Selections Final
Monday-Thursday, May 21-24, 2018 Preliminary Rounds (New York City)
Saturday, May 26, 2018 Competition Finals (New York City)