Details of the 2017 Competition
Below are all the details about the 2017 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition. The application-window is now closed, and audition-invitations will be issued by Friday, April 7, 2017. To receive updates about the 2017 Competition, please sign-up for the Jensen Foundation newsletter.
2017 DATES Preliminary Rounds, May 15-18, 2017. The Final Competition will be held on Saturday, May 20, 2017.
2017 LOCATION Baruch Performing Arts Center (BPAC), 55 Lexington at 25th Street (between Lexington and 3rd), New York, New York.
2017 AWARDS Awards for the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition are:
- First place - $15,000
- Second place - $10,000
- Third place - $7,500
- Munday Encouragement Award - $3,000 and automatic entry into the 2018 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition
- Remaining finalists - $750
2017 ELIGIBILITY To be eligible to compete, you:
- must NOT be a previous first-, second-, or third-place award winner of the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition;
- must be a permanent legal resident of the United States for at least one year prior to May 15, 2017. You must submit proof of residency in the form of a copy of a valid U.S. passport, a valid permanent resident (green) card, or a U.S. birth certificate. Drivers license or work permit are not acceptable proofs of residency;
- must be between the ages of 25 and 35 as of May 15, 2017;
- must submit a resume that demonstrates your active pursuit of a career in opera;
- must not be a past or current recipient of a contract for a principal role with an OPERA America Budget Level I company or its international equivalent. Cover, chorus, and comprimario roles with Level 1 companies are acceptable;
- must submit a completed application online by the deadline of Sunday, March 19, 2017.
2017 APPLICATION FEE $25, non-refundable.
2017 APPLICATION PROCESSING closed on Sunday, March 19, 2017.
- Applications were accepted online only at Yaptracker.com.
- Applicants are asked to prepare five operatic arias: one in Italian, one in French, one in German, one in English, and a fifth in the language of the applicant’s choice. A professional accompanist will be provided free-of-charge, or you may provide your own accompanist.
- If you are chosen as a finalist, you must be available from noon to 6 PM on the day of the Final Competition, Saturday, May 20, 2017.
COMMUNICATION E-mail is the primary form of communication; therefore it is imperative you provide a valid address with your application. The Foundation does not take responsibility for blocked or undeliverable e-mail. Additionally, it is your responsibility to follow up with the competition director if, at any time, you have questions or concerns regarding your application status, aria list, or audition times.
2017 IMPORTANT DATES
Sunday, March 19, 2017 Application Deadline
Friday, April 7, 2017 Acceptance & Schedule Confirmed; Waitlist Announced
Sunday, April 30, 2017 Aria Selections Final
Monday-Thursday, May 15-18, 2017 Preliminary Rounds (New York City)
Saturday, May 20, 2017 Competition Finals (New York City)