The Fritz & Lavinia Jensen Foundation is now accepting online applications for the 2016 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition to be held May 16-21, 2016 at the Baruch Performing Arts Center in New York City. Opera professionals who are 25-35 years of age can compete for their share of more than $36,000 in prize money.
The Foundation expects 110 singers to audition for the chance to sing in the final competition on Saturday, May 21, 2016 and compete for these awards:
- First place - $15,000
- Second place - $10,000
- Third place - $7,500
- Munday Encouragement Award - $3,000 and automatic entry into the 2017 Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition
- All remaining finalists will receive $750.
The Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition is open to opera singers who meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Will be 25-35 years of age on the first day of the 2016 competition, May 16;
- Will have been a permanent legal resident of the United States for at least one year prior to May 16, 2016;
- Can demonstrate the active pursuit of a career in opera;
- Will not be a past or current recipient of a contract with an OPERA American Budget Level I company or its international equivalent.
Singers can complete an online application at Yaptracker.com. The deadline for entry is Sunday, March 13, 2016.
About the Fritz & Lavinia Jensen Foundation
Fritz and Lavinia Jensen were lifelong supporters of the arts who benefited many musicians and musical organizations during their lives. The Jensen Foundation is dedicated to continuing their philanthropic vision of support for the musical arts. The centerpiece of the Foundation’s efforts, the annual Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition, supports young artists pursuing a career in opera. Since the Competition’s inception in 2000, 99 singers have received more than $500,000 in support. Learn more and meet previous winners of the Jensen Foundation Vocal Competition at http://www.jensenfoundation.org.